Resources and course documents
- Required textbook: Axiomatic Geometry by John M. Lee
- Joyce’s online version of Euclid’s Elements (we primarily use this version)
- Fitzpatrick’s translation of Euclid’s Elements
- Byrne’s Euclid
- Friday 16 September class is not held as usual; details to be announced in class.
- The final exam time is Tuesday 13 December 1-4pm.
- Due Wednesday 31 August:
- Read Lee “Reading Euclid” (pages 2-8)
- Read Euclid “Book I”
- Look at Lee Exercises 1A, 1B
- Read the rest of Chapter 1 (in Lee) for Friday 2 September
- Exercises 1B (for I.10), 1C (choose one proposition), 1D due Wednesday 7 September
- Read pages 23 – 42 for Wednesday 7 September
- Exercises 2B, 2C, 2I are due Friday 9 September
- Read the rest of Chapter 2 by Monday 12 September
- Exercises 2K – 2U due Wednesday 14 September
- Exercises 3F, 3G, 3H due Wednesday 28 September
- Read Chapter 4 for Friday 30 September
- Proofs of Theorems 4.17, 4.18, 4.30 due Tuesday 11 October. Also due is a narrative on the parallels between the theory of angles and the theory of segments.
- Read Chapter 5 and record definitions.
- Prove SAS is equivalent to ASA by Thursday 20 October.
- 21 November: Josh, Melena (Parallel postulates)
- 21 November: Paul (Wallis’ postulate)
- 23 November: Jenny, Mack (Clairaut)
- 23 November: Lily, Sara (Parallel converses)
- 28 November: Rhianna, Sema (Angles)
- 28 November: Jacob, Mackenzie (Quadralaterals I)
- 30 November: Jesus, Mirza (Quadralaterals II)
- 30 November: Paul (Circles)
- 2 December: Adam, Katja (Secant and tangent lines)
- 2 December: Isis, Mary (Multiple circles)
- 5 December: Shelby (Arc measurement)
- 5 December: Leo, Tim (Thales)
- 7 December: Makayla, Robert (Inscribed angles)